ISLAMABAD: Addressing a press conference at the Foreign Office, Foreign Affairs Adviser Sartaj Aziz confirmed that Mullah Mansour had been killed in an American airstrike on Saturday. He also said that Mansour’s dead body has not been handed over to anyone.
“According to the Afghan Taliban, Mullah Mansour was traveling with a different name,” said Sartaj Aziz. “It has been confirmed that it was Mullah Mansour who had been killed in the drone strike.”
Sartaj Aziz further went on to state that Mansour’s killing had proven to be an immense setback for the peace of the region. He said that the drone attack had undermined the Afghan peace process and managed to worsen the situation. Regarding the drone attacks, Sartaj Aziz said that Pakistan had protested over the drone attack to the United States.
Sartaj Aziz also said that according to Pakistan’s information, Mullah Akhtar Mansour was not against negotiations in Afghanistan.
“According to some people of ours who were in touch with the Afghan people, Mullah Mansour was not against negotiations.”
“Since 2001, as many as 390 drone strikes have taken place in Pakistan. We are also protesting against drone attacks at the United Nations,” he said. “Drone attacks are an attack on Pakistan’s sovereignty,” said Sartaj Aziz.
Sartaj Aziz also said that Mullah Mansour’s body had not been handed over to anyone as they were still awaiting DNA results. He said that Mansour’s body would not be handed over till the DNA process would not be completed.
The Foreign Affairs Adviser said that Pakistan has been pressing for the Pak-Afghan border in the past as well.
“Management of the Pakistan-Afghanistan border is extremely important,” he said.
Sartaj Aziz also stated that Pakistan had to bear a loss of $110 billion financially and has lost 60,000 lives in the war against terror.