Home / National / Naqeebullah murder: Rao Anwar sent to jail on judicial remand until May 2
Naqeebullah murder: Rao Anwar sent to jail on judicial remand until May 2

Naqeebullah murder: Rao Anwar sent to jail on judicial remand until May 2

KARACHI: An anti-terrorism court (ATC) on Saturday sent former SSP Malir Rao Anwar to jail on judicial remand until May 2.

Anwar was produced before the ATC in Karachi after his month-long physical remand expired. The family of the victim and members of Pashtun jirga also arrived to witness the hearing. However; the hirga members were barred from entering court.

Strict security arrangements were made additional contingent was deployed outside the court.

During the hearing, the investigation officers were in a state of bewilderment. SSP Dr Rizwan mistakenly brought the Sindh High Court file of the case while the ATC file was sent to SHC.

The ten accused in the case were shifted to the court from the jail. They include DSP Qamar Ahmed Sheikh, constable Abdul Ali, Shafique Ahmed, Ghulam Nazuk, sub-inspector Yaseen and others. At least 13 suspects are still fugitive in the case.

A journalist asked whether Naqeebullah was a terrorist or not? Rao Anwar replied,”I will tell this later. Let the challan of the case be submitted in court. All will be clear after it.”

“The people of Karachi consider you a hero due to you operations. But according to your own police, all your shootouts were fake,” said the journalist.

“Everything will be clarified after the formation of JIT. Then I will tell everyone whether the shootouts were fake or not,” responded Anwar.

The former SSP was handed over to police on one-month physical remand on March 22.

Later, he appeared before the JIT and recorded his initial statement. Rao Anwar disclosed names of five members of his team for killing Naqeebullah. Rao Anwar blamed that some officers of Sindh police are conspiring against him.

Anwar is being investigated for his suspected involvement in the extrajudicial killing of Naqeebullah Mehsud in a staged encounter in Karachi.

Mehsud, a 27-year-old hailing from South Waziristan, was gunned down on January 13 in Shah Latif Town by alleged ‘encounter’ with a police team headed by Rao Anwar, however; preliminary probe suggest that Mehsud was killed in cold blood and had no terror links.

His killing sparked a social media outcry, as his family members rejected claims by authorities that he was a member of the Tehreek-e-Taliban, saying he was an innocent aspiring male model.

Comments are closed.

Scroll To Top