KABUL (AFP) – The Taliban said Sunday they would not extend their three-day ceasefire with Afghan security forces and fighting would resume, dashing hopes for the recent peace to continue.
The comments by Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid come after Afghan President Ashraf Ghani announced Saturday a government truce with the militants would be extended. He asked the group to reciprocate.
“The ceasefire ends tonight and our operations will begin, inshallah. We have no intention to extend the ceasefire,” Mujahid told AFP in a WhatsApp message.
The first formal, nationwide ceasefire in the country since the 2001 US invasion had been met with jubilation across the country as Afghans — Taliban, security forces and civilians — celebrated Eid, the holiday that caps the fasting month of Ramadan.