Home / Slider / Two dead as gunmen attack Save the Children office in east Afghanistan
Two dead as gunmen attack Save the Children office in east Afghanistan

Two dead as gunmen attack Save the Children office in east Afghanistan

KABUL (AFP) – Gunmen blasted their way into Save the Children’s office in Afghanistan’s restive east on Wednesday, witnesses and officials said, killing at least two persons and wounding 14 others in the latest attack on a foreign aid group in the war-torn country.

After blowing up a car outside the British charity’s compound in Jalalabad city, the attackers used a rocket-propelled grenade to storm the complex.

Security forces swarmed the compound after the attackers launched the morning raid and brought the assault to an end after more than three hours, Nangarhar governor spokesman Attaullah Khogyani told AFP.

“The fighting has ended. The security forces are clearing the building now,” spokesman Attaullah Khogyani told AFP, adding at least two people had been killed and 14 wounded.

“Our initial information shows the attackers had military uniforms on.”


Vehicles are seen on fire after a blast in Jalalabad, Afghanistan. —Reuters


Mohammad Amin, who was inside the compound when the attackers launched the raid, told AFP from his hospital bed that he heard “a big blast”.

“We ran for cover and I saw a gunman hitting the main gate with an RPG (rocket-propelled grenade) to enter the compound. I jumped out of the window,” Amin said.

Afghan TV news channels showed a thick plume of black smoke rising above the compound and what appeared to be at least one vehicle on fire outside the office.

Comments are closed.

Scroll To Top